Thursday, June 11, 2009

Workday Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my second favorite holiday, a very close second to Christmas. And I really like the food. Turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, vegetables, crescent rolls, cranberry sauce, and stuffing, yum. But as a working mother I don't always have the time and I almost never have the energy to recreate this delicious meal on many more occasions then Thanksgiving, and usually Christmas too.

So in our house I make what I call Weekday Thanksgiving, and it couldn't be more simple, so you should make it for your family, or friends, or heck just yourself, cause cold turkey sandwiches the next day are almost as good.

I get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store(Sam's Club also sells them, and they are mighty affordable.), if you have never had a rotisserie chicken, don't knock it before you try it unless of course you don't like chicken, because they are delicious. My husband is almost a non-meat eater. I think he eats most of it because he knows how hard it already is to feed him foods he likes. So I when I bring the chicken home I put it in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or so to crisp the outside but a bit. Then I make a quick batch of mashed potatoes, buy the small red potatoes and they boil up in no time and keep the skins on there is a whole bunch of nutrition in there, or if you must get some of those Country Crock or Bob Evans refrigerated mashed potatoes, but please, for the love of Thanksgiving don't used the powdery box potatoes, they should even be allowed to be called potatoes. Get a bag of Steamfresh vegetables, you know the ones in the freezer section you pop in the microwave for like 4 minutes and the steam, or fresh vegetable of your choice, in the summer we usually do corn on the cob. And our grocery store has hot french breads each evening that are so good, it could be the meal itself (if your store doesn't have fresh breads, grab some crescent rolls, they are pretty quick baking), and there you go. Taste like thanksgiving and takes about 25 minutes, and its almost so delicious it makes me almost consider serving this on Thanksgiving Day and saving myself a whole lot of time and energy. :o)

1 comment:

{Kimber} said...

"For the love of Thanksgiving"...
haaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa